It’s all about attention span! Sadly, the length of time it takes to catch someone’s attention and convince them to watch the entirety of your video is crippling each day (thanks Tiktok). A study in Nature Communications conducted by University of Denmark warned us about this phenomenon back in 2019, but who’s to stop the new wave of Gen Zers am I right? 😀
Viewers are more likely to watch the entire video if you can get them past the first few seconds. Using text in your video allows you to stand out and show your brand’s personality! Some people do this by putting the ending at the beginning and saying "wait until the end to find out!". Some others insert text at the beginning of their video, saying exactly what they are going to do or what the video is about. While it is up to you how to use text, there are a few rules of thumb you should consider. So let’s learn about the three different types of text you can add to your Tiktok or Insta reels:
- Intro Title: This is exactly what it sounds like 😅, a block of text on the first few seconds and a thumbnail of your video.
- Subtitles: Another type of text we'll see often is subtitles or captions. The benefit of this is that having subtitles on your video allows people to follow along to what's going on in your video. This is especially helpful if you're doing any kind of instructional video. Luckily Motionbox has an automatic subtitles generator!
- Action Text: A small block of text that pops up as the video progresses to further the story. This could be like providing a quick background. Saying where you are, the time, and the location. Or even giving a short history or your character. There are plenty of options as to how to utilize action text. But like everything, the text is meant to further the story. More on this later :)
- Shoutouts: This is a recent thing I've been seeing on Tik Tok. But using text somewhere to shout out a follower and make them feel special could be a huge bonus for engaging with your audience. So whether you're approaching it from the lens of doing a giveaway, or just saying hi. Having that human aspect of your video could be a major game changer! 🔥
Why use a watermark on your marketing videos?
So, you made a piece of content. Congratulations! Whether it's a tutorial, a product release, a workout video, or even you dancing to your favorite song, you're going to want to protect it. No, I don't mean you need to give it armed guards, I mean you have to add a watermark!
What's a watermark? And how do I add one to my video?
Great question. Allow me to explain 🤓.
A watermark is a small, but noticeable, marking on a video that doesn't allow others to post your video and take credit. This could be a logo, some text, or even another video. Some of the key benefits of adding a watermark include ensuring that no one else takes credit for your masterpiece and well, it's also a great and highly underrated marketing tool!
Imagine you create a piece of content that goes viral. Your office dance video suddenly has millions of views. Awesome! But, how do we ensure that this leads to your channel or account growing? Well, that's where the watermark comes in. Every time someone sees your video, they'll also see your brand name and logo. The more people see it, the better.
Some best practices for using a watermark are:
- Seen, but unseen: We want to ensure that our watermark is visible, but doesn't take away from the content we've created.
- Make it quiet: Depending on the content you are producing, turn down the opacity on your watermark so that it doesn't take up too much mental energy.
Try adding a watermark to your video here!